[Users] Finally, I had to switch to Thunderbird. CM is too slow to be usable!

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Oct 31 20:55:29 CET 2013

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 17:33:27 +0100
Andrej Kacian <andrej at kacian.sk> wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 22:17:00 -0400
> Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> > > Short of getting some amount of multithreaded behavior into Claws
> > > (an admittedly large and disruptive task no doubt), I wonder if
> > > it would
> >
> > Am I on drugs, or is multithreading not the only way to do
> > simultaneous processes? I have a shellscript that allows me to type
> > in info for the next vinyl record, while this vinyl record plays
> > and then converts to .ogg and normalizes. All I did was exec a
> > process.
>
> Yes, but multi-process code is even more complex than multithreading,
> what with all the IPC involved. :)

What IPC? You fork or doublefork a the subroutine that gets the mail.
I'm assuming here, and please tell me I'm right, that this subroutine
is pure batch process, not batch process mixed up with GUI.

If you mean the need to cancel the thing, that's as simple as saving
the forked process's PID, and from the foreground issuing a kill signal
to it. If you want the fetch to have a progress bar and a cancel
button, put a tiny GUI front end on it. Make it a separate executable
for that matter.

I know getting threads right is difficult, but spawning processes isn't
rocket science.

SteveT