[Users] Finally, I had to switch to Thunderbird. CM is too slow to be usable!

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Oct 31 03:20:09 CET 2013

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 17:52:12 +0100
Daniele Boffi <3daniele03 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I regret to admit that, after testing CM on slow IMAP connections, I
> had to switch to Thunderbird as default mail client for my laptop.
>
> Let me explain why, hoping that someone will convince me to come back
> to CM.
>
> I am managing a very large amount of mail (10Gb+) organized in a lot
> of folders and subfolders and archived in an IMAP server.
>
> After I hit "Get Mail", and if I have a good network connection,
> everything is fine and all my folders are updated with new messages
> almost instantaneously.
>
> On the other hand, if the network is not so fast, checking for new
> messages can take *very long* time. Of course, there is nothing CM can
> do in order to speedup the process if the network is slow. But the
> negative side is that when CM is checking for new mail, it cannot be
> used for anything else (not even for sending mails).

What I do is click my most active folder, which in my case is INBOX.
This downloads messages for INBOX only, and doesn't take much time.
*Then* I click the Get Mail button, and while the stuff's downloading,
I read the mail in INBOX. You're right, I can't reply to it, but at
least I can read it.

Like I said in another email, I would think that it wouldn't be that
hard for the developers to have the Get Mail button run a separate
process concurrently with Claws.

Thanks,

SteveT