[Users] Strange smtp problem

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Oct 9 01:15:18 CEST 2013

On Tue, 8 Oct 2013 22:14:23 +0100
Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Oct 2013 22:05:30 +0200
> Dirk Schleicher <dirk.schleicher at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > It is CM!!! I install thunderbird and it works. I write tis mail
> > with CM and store it as draft. (I use an own imap server but I send
> > direkt via smtp)
>
> Since nothing changed in Claws in relation to this it can't be Claws.
> Check your account settings. Maybe something changed in the server
> config. Perhaps you need to check the username.
>
> with regards
>
> Paul

Sure it can. Claws has two deletion methods...

One of the cool things about Claws-Mail is that it has two completely
different email deletion paradigms:

    Trash and expunge deletions immediately
    Simply mark them for later deletion

The trash and expunge is pretty much what most email programs do --
move the message from its current folder to the trash folder. When I
first saw the mark for later deletion interface, it made me crazy and I
asked on the list how to change it to "normal". But in the ensuing
weeks and months, I came to prefer mark for later deletion -- much
easier to recover accidental deletions. You can hide the marked
messages in a folder by highlighting the folder, and then
View->Hide_deleted_messages. And, at any given time, you can always
permantently delete the marked emails with Tools->Expunge.

To set your preferred Click Configure->Preferences_for_current_account
to get the Account Preferences window for the current account, then in
the Page Index list on the left, click Advanced. Now look carefully at
the screen for a checkbox called "Move deleted email to trash and
expunge immediately". If you check that box, deleted emails are moved
to the Trash folder right away. If you don't check that box, deleting a
message simply marks it and turns it light gray.

While you're on this page of this window, notice the input field
labeled "Put deleted messages in", with a checkbox. If you check it and
select a folder, that folder becomes your trash folder. Usual choices
for trash folder are either account/trash or account/INBOX/Trash.

To summarize, your deletion config is all contained on the advanced
page of the current account's Account Preferences page, which is
reached by clicking Configuration->Preferences_for_current_account, and
then selecting "Advanced" from the page list on the left of the Account
Preferences window.

    To choose Trash and Espunge immediately, check the "move deleted
    mails to trash and expunge immediately" checkbox. To choose  Mark
    for later deletion, uncheck the "move deleted mails to trash and
    expunge immediately" checkbox. Either way, to define the Trash
    folder, check the "Put deleted messages in" checkbox, and put in
    the desired folder in the "Put deleted messages in" input field.
    The input field has a browse button on its right to help you choose.

SteveT