[Users] On which Linux distro is Claws Mail best supported?

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 4 12:07:57 CEST 2013

> Arch Linux here   WITH KDE   all my software works fine including Claws-mail .

The main choice is whether you want stable or secure packages or not
which are often seen as the same thing but that is far too simplistic a
view. Quite often this means stable are less secure but a debian stable
may be more secure than a ubuntu package which isn't quite upto date
aside from things like firefox where they focus resources. The latest
packages may get security fixes much quicker but may also have unknown
security bugs and possibly gnutls problems that will be fixed quickly
before they hit debian or Ubuntu repos.

Not Linux but if you are willing to learn how to keep upto date
with current via snapshots (dead quick once you know how) or building
then it's hard to argue against OpenBSD which uses the latest code
judged stable often by savvy developers/porters. Far more secure kernel
even if you patch Linux with grsecurity and though they could
occasionally do with a little more developer resources their judgement
on packages and code is far better than Arch which bundled udisks2
earlier than they should have done and so losing features that were in
udisks (as confirmed by the udisks dev).

It's not linux though so if you want automounting you would have to
setup hotplugd.

If you want Linux I would consider Xubuntu (and remove zeitgeist and
some other crud) as it may well be possible to have claws on your phone
(ubuntu mobile) next year too.

p.s. I hope your GUI programs for updating aren't running as root,
that's Windows level of dangerous, but if your happy with that risk
then cool. Many GUIs like synaptic don't drop priviledges and the polkit
model is in some cases a con and in others completely flawed.

Truecrypt and ssh itself are decent examples of doing it right where
ssh runs as little as possible as root and drops priviledges
specifically and automatically within it's code and truecrypt has a
core-service which will use sudo automatically (if enabled in sudoers).

Unfortunately you can't do much about the last part without using the
commandline except hope gui devs become more caring and competent.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)