[Users] Schedule for Ubuntu PPA Update

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri May 24 23:02:55 CEST 2013

On May 23, 2013, at 01:13 PM, Ricardo Mones wrote:

>  Hi Barry et al,

Hi Ricardo.  Sorry, I've been distracted, however...

>Now this has spreaded to Debian sid, as expected, forcing me to look for a
>solution :)

...maybe it will work to my advantage. :)

>I don't think the patch is specially bad, except that only works on Debian,
>Ubuntu and its derivatives :)

:-D

>There's the option of getting the triplet with “gcc -dumpmachine”, which
>seems more generic, but still leaves clang out (until it gets some similar
>option, I guess).
>
>There's even a third possibility, forget about triplets and just extract the
>.so symlink location from python itself by running “python-config --ldflags”
>and some sed/grep plumbing and readlink to get the real location.
>
>Dirty, but I think it works everywhere, being multi-arch or not :)
>
>Any other ideas?

As you mention later, python-config *almost* gives you exactly what you need.
Probably the closest thing is:

% python-config --configdir
/usr/lib/python2.7/config-x86_64-linux-gnu
% ls `python-config --configdir`
config.c     libpython2.7.a	 Makefile    Setup
config.c.in  libpython2.7-pic.a  makesetup*  Setup.config
install-sh*  libpython2.7.so@	 python.o    Setup.local

which should work fine if all you care about is locating the .so.  It doesn't
help you find the header files, but `python-config --includes` will give you
that (in -I<dir> format).

-Barry

P.S. feel free to ping me on OFTC or freenode if you want to try to work out
something in real-time.