[Users] Schedule for Ubuntu PPA Update

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Thu May 23 13:13:52 CEST 2013

  Hi Barry et al,

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 05:15:46PM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On May 12, 2013, at 05:45 PM, Colin Leroy wrote:
>
> >Building succeeds apart on 13.04 Raring, an issue that I'll have to
> >deal with later. i386 builders are done, x86-64 not yet.
>
> Did you have any problems with the Python plugin?
>
> I looked briefly at why, now that raring has been released and auto-sync from
> Debian has been re-enabled, saucy has not gotten 3.9.1-1 from sid.  I actually
> grabbed the sid source package and tried to build it in a saucy chroot, but
> the build failed on the Python plugin.

  Now this has spreaded to Debian sid, as expected, forcing me to look for
a solution :)

> The reason for this is that CM's configure.ac doesn't look for libpython.so in
> a multiarch location.  It needs to search the directory given by
>
> $ dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_MULTIARCH
>
> I actually added this as a quilt patch to my local package, patching
> configure.ac, but I had problems getting autoreconf run at the right step in
> the build process, and then I ran out of time.  (I did contact Ricardo
> off-list about this, but he's probably as busy as me, and I haven't heard back
> yet. ;)

  Not only... but yes, sorry for not answering before.

> It's also entirely possible that my patch sucks, or some other failure is
> involved once the multiarch search is fixed.
>
> In any case, see below for the patch.  Maybe upstream CM can incorporate this
> for a 3.9.2 release?

  I don't think the patch is specially bad, except that only works on Debian,
Ubuntu and its derivatives :)

  There's the option of getting the triplet with “gcc -dumpmachine”, which
seems more generic, but still leaves clang out (until it gets some similar
option, I guess).

  There's even a third possibility, forget about triplets and just extract
the .so symlink location from python itself by running “python-config
--ldflags” and some sed/grep plumbing and readlink to get the real location.

  Dirty, but I think it works everywhere, being multi-arch or not :)

  Any other ideas?
--
  Ricardo Mones
  ~