[Users] Keeping new filtering/processing headers in drop down lists

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Thu May 23 10:23:04 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 05:57:18PM +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:
> On Tue, 21 May 2013 23:27:12 +0200
> Ricardo Mones wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 21 May 2013 16:23:50 +0100
> > Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > I've noticed that when using news accounts (and it might be the case
> > > for email too) any new headers I enter such as NNTP-Posting-Host or
> > > Injection-Info are not added to the drop down list and hence I have
> > > to re-enter them every time I want to add a new filtering or
> > > processing rule that uses them.
> > >
> > > Is there a file somewhere that I should be adding these entries to
> > > myself or could Claws be modified so that it saves unknown entries
> > > for each drop down list?
> >
> >   Yes, as mentioned in manpage, you can create an “extraheaderrc” file
> >   under your configuration directory (usually ~/.claws-mail) with the
> >   headers to be added to the compose drop down lists (one per line,
> >   colon must be included).
>
> I've now tried to make this work in the Windows 3.9.1git2 version, I
> can't see the headers I've added in the drop down lists for either News
> account folder processing or indeed for adding a user-defined
> header in an email account.

  These “extraheaderrc” are only for compose windows drop down lists.

  The places you're referring allow to manually add the header (just type
it in the combobox entry), and are used much less often, therefore I didn't
bother myself to add the extra headers to those combos.

  The code which adds them ☢ it's probably easy to reuse with a little
refactoring effort, so patches welcome.

  ☢ function compose_add_extra_header_entries in compose.c

[...]
> At one point I got a warning that the extraheaderrc file contained
> newlines. It reads:

> and was edited using notepad.

  Not sure what's warning you about that, but I think that's not Claws Mail,
or at least, not the code which deals with extra headers.

  Anyway, the current string sanitization code for the headers read is far
from being good and, of course, done without thinking on toy-OSes which use
anything different from \n for line endings ;) I'll try to fix that.

  regards,
--
  Ricardo Mones
  ~