[Users] Schedule for Ubuntu PPA Update

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun May 12 12:30:22 CEST 2013

On Sat, 11 May 2013 17:52:51 -0700
sylpheed at 911networks.com wrote:

> On Sun, 12 May 2013 08:36:37 +0900
> Charles Lipton <crlipton at gol.com> wrote:
>
> >I am completely dissatisfied with Fancy and consider it a work in
> >progress that needs to be taken back behind the wall for more work
> >before it gets inflicted on the public again.
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm the public. I use Fancy and I like it. I prefer it to gtkhtml2.
> I'm very happy for Fancy, it has just the right amount of features
> for me.

Which doesn't in any way contradict or invalidate what Charles Lipton
said.

> I do take offense of how you talk to the developers. Politeness and
> civility goes a long way when you want somebody to help you.

Sounds to me like Charles Lipton was quite a bit more polite and civil
than your response to him.

> If you do not like 391, stay with 390 or find some other software
> (thunderbird, balsa, pine, mutt...) or write your own...

LOL, responses like the preceding, when aimed at someone who wasn't an
obvious troll, at the very least get your project bad publicity,
squelch genuine feedback that makes your project better, and can, on
occasion, get your project forked.

You know, I don't even have a dog in this fight. If I use Fancy or
gtkhtml2 I'm unaware of it, I don't use a tray icon, and if a later
version of Claws starts sending me libnotify boxes every one of the 500
times per day that I get an email, I presume there's a way to turn off
Claws notifications.

I don't really care about an Ubuntu PPA either, because I'll just wait
until the next Ubuntu version, or next OpenSuSE version, or the next
PC-BSD version.

My only point is that when somebody politely and civilly gives
feedback, it's not cool to jump down his throat.

> BTW, I want to thank everybody for all the hard work.

I wholeheartedly agree.

And I bet Charles Lipton does, too.

SteveT