[Users] Bogofilter doesn't seem to be working

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Thu Mar 21 00:13:01 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Gil Weber <gilweber at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Bogofilter was not installed. I mistakenly assumed (oops) that when I
> installed the bogofilter plug-in that also brought along bogofilter.
> Should have known better.

Grins. Been there, done that...

> However, in a command line <bogofilter -T -b> doesn't do anything. The
> terminal just sits there and ..... nothing. So I'm guessing this means
> bogofilter cannot be launched from a command line.

No, actually, it means that bogofilter is sitting there waiting for
you to send it a message (actually, a bulk set of messages) to
classify. Hit ctrl-C to cancel that, and go back to Claws.

Now you should have a "Spam" button that also acts as a pull-down. You
need to train bogofilter, so grab a bunch of good mail, pull down the
button and mark as "not spam". I did this with everything in my in box
and a bunch of mailing lists.

Then find some spam, and mark it as spam. You'll have to continue to
train the filter until it gets better, but it gets pretty darned good.

Also, I forget how exactly to do it, but you can also set up a "might
be spam" mailbox. These days I end up with two or three messages in
that a week, usually evenly split between "spam" and "yeah, I could
see how you might think so" (ie: spammy sounding ad copy, but from a
company I'm actually interested in).

Dan