[Users] Stop jumping to next unread message after moving current message

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Sat Jun 29 11:55:24 CEST 2013

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to control which message gets selected after you
move the currently selected message to another folder?  For me, it
selects the first unread message in the folder, which is many months
old.  It means every time I move a message out of my inbox, I have to
keep scrolling down to the latest message in my inbox again and again.

Under "Configuration, Preferences, Display, Summaries, Set default
selection when entering a folder" I have it set to "last selected
message" only.

As some background, I've just started using Claws (switching away from
Thunderbird) and so far it seems great.  It's certainly many times
faster than TB over IMAP! (Apart from notification of new e-mails,
which is instant with TB.)

I like having all my e-mail delivered to my inbox, and then
moving each message to another folder once I have actioned it.  To
speed this up, and avoid dragging and dropping so much, I configure a
bunch of message filters - such as "move all mail from address X to
folder Y".  I then disable the filters running automatically, and
assign the tilde key to "Tools, Filter selected messages".  This allows
me to press the tilde key when I have finished reading a message, and
it automatically gets moved out of my inbox and filed in the appropriate
folder.

Normally - with Thunderbird - it would then select the next message in
my inbox.  Claws does this if I drag and drop the message, but using a
filter like this instead makes it jump back to a really old unread
message in my inbox, which is very inconvenient.

Is there any way to say "if the selected message disappears, just
select the next one in the list"?

Many thanks,
Adam.