[Users] Can you apply multiple filters to a message?

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Wed Jul 17 10:41:25 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I would like to apply some rules to marked messages, but I want to
unmark them in the process.  Because I want to avoid adding this
condition to all my rules (in case I ever forget to when adding a new
rule) I have my filters structured like this:

  1. Some rules that apply to all messages (e.g. setting colours)
  2. If a message is unmarked, stop filtering
  3. More rules, which don't have any mark-related conditions but only
     apply to marked messages because of point 2.
  4. A rule to unmark all (marked) messages.

I am stuck with point #4.  Again, I don't want to have to specify
'unmark message' as an action on all rules, so I'd like to have a rule
which just unmarks every message last of all (or one that unmarks then
keeps trying the next filter.)

However it seems Claws stops processing rules once it finds a matching
filter.  If I have a filter that unmarks messages followed by one that
moves them, the messages get unmarked but not moved.  If I put the move
filter first, they get moved but not unmarked.  So once Claws finds a
matching rule, it stops processing more rules.

This seems a bit counter-intuitive, since there is a specific rule
action called "stop filtering".  So that implies if you don't perform
that action, the filters following that one will keep running on the
message being processed.

Am I misunderstanding the purpose of the "stop filtering" action?  How
can I tell Claws to keep running the filters after finding a match?

Many thanks,
Adam.