[Users] MS Exchange 2010 & IMAP

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 22:06:22 CET 2013

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 20:07:58 +0000
Richard <richard at g8jvm.com> wrote:

> How do I make sure the authentication handshaking between CM and this
> damn exchange 2010 server stay the same, please ????

The root cause of the problem isn't Exchange. It's OpenSSL. The OpenSSL
developers removed automatic cipher negotiation in v1.0 leaving it up
to the program using the libraries to do the heavy lifting. You'll run
into this with anything that uses OpenSSL 1.0 expecting it to do cipher
negotiation.

In CM's case it's libetpan that triggers the problem. CM relies on
libetpan for SSL and TLS authentication. libetpan in turn relies on
OpenSSL for ciphers and cipher negotiation. See above.

I've found two solutions to the problem.

1. Compile libetpan with GnuTLS instead of OpenSSL, and tell CM to use
this version. I've successfully done this on Macintosh with MacPorts
and on Debian Squeeze and Wheezy. I believe that the Windows build
system in SVN does this.

2. Use DavMail to proxy your IMAP, et.al., connections to your site's
OWA/OWS server. This requires no code compiling on your part but it
does require that your site has Outlook Web Access/Services enabled and
functioning properly. Which, truth be told, is more likely than having
the Exchange IMAP connector enabled and functioning properly.

--
Rich P.