[Users] sent account not corrosponding to current mailbox

Paul claws at thewildbeast.co.uk
Mon Jan 21 10:28:43 CET 2013

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 14:34:52 +0100
Michael Gmelin <freebsd at grem.de> wrote:

> Well, using IMAP results in an IMAP mailbox while using POP3
> results in an MH mailbox for mail storage (yes, there are other
> ways of ending up using MH, but the majority of users gets them by
> using POP3). So unless your name is Sheldon it's not really "No",
> but more like "To be precise".

Just for clarification: No, it's not simply a matter of "to be more
precise".

In the case of IMAP accounts, each IMAP account has its own mailbox,
and when you create a new IMAP account you get a new IMAP mailbox at
the same time, in the same operation.

However, this is not the case for POP accounts. A new MH mailbox is
not created automatically when you create a new POP account. Several
POP accounts can share a single MH mailbox. This mailbox can also be
shared with Local accounts.

so, an IMAP mailbox is associated with an account, but an MH mailbox
has no such distinct association.

with regards

Paul

--
It isn't worth a nickel to two guys like you or me,
but to a collector it is worth a fortune