[Users] Filtering Issue - SOLVED

Charles Lipton crlipton at gol.com
Fri Jan 4 03:42:10 CET 2013

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 10:22:06 +0100
users-request at lists.claws-mail.org wrote:

> Turn on the Filtering Log on the /Other/Logging page of the prefs,
> then view the log via /Tools/Filtering Log in the main window. This
> should tell you something useful about the failure of your filtering.
> Feel free to post the log output here if you cannot make sense of it.
>
> with regards
>
> Paul

I just wanted to report back that I took Paul's suggestion to turn on
the Filtering Log and check output for several days.  Filtering Log
showed that my setup was correct and that there were no conflicts
apparent.  However, no sorting was taking place and Bogofilter did not
seem to be learning from my Spam / Ham settings.

I have always biased my spam sorting and reporting toward blacklisting
but saw that Bogofilter is biased toward whitelists.  So, I checked the
Configuration -> Preferences -> Bogofilter -> "Learn whitelisted emails
as ham" ... and the filtering / sorting issues went away.

For me, this is a change from the previous settings I used for
Bogofilter in earlier versions of Claws Mail.  Perhaps this will help
someone else.  Unfortunately, Christmas turned into New Year and I
hadn't had a chance to report back.

BTW, I'd like to thank Brad Rogers for his warning that turning on
Filtering Manager could slow down the mail import process.  It had no
noticeable effect on my two POP3 accounts, but there was a definite
slowdown  on the one IMAP account connect to.

--
Charles Lipton
crlipton at gol.com