[Users] Moving to new computer

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Dec 19 19:33:59 CET 2013

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 10:52:54 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

>On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 18:51:49 +0100
>Michael Rasmussen <mir at miras.org> dijo:
>
>>On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 09:38:13 -0800
>>John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Something is missing on the new computer, but I can't figure out
>>> what. All the accounts and configurations look exactly the same as
>>> on the old computer. What have I forgotten to transfer to the new
>>> computer?
>
>>I am pretty sure it has something to do with permissions. The literal
>>username and groupname is actually used by the OS numerically so if
>>your numerical value for user and group are different on your old
>>computer compared to your new computer claws will not be able to read
>>and write any messages in the folders.
>>
>>How to fix: Shutdown claws and do the following:
>>sudo chown -R <username>:<group> ~/.claws-mail
>
>That seems to have done the trick. Thanks!

That worked, but now I am trying to clone Claws Mail onto a second
computer. and it's not working.

To clarify, I recently bought a new laptop to be my main computer. I
installed Xubuntu 13.10 and successfully got all my programs and
configurations the way I want them. That included setting up Claws Mail
so that it would be identical to how it was on the old laptop. I
copied the .claws-mail folder from the old laptop to the new one
and, after using the above command, all my folders show my saved mails.

Now I want to clone the new installation of Claws Mail to a desktop
computer which has Xubuntu 12.04, except that once it's working I will
change the accounts so that when I get mail it will leave the mail on
the server - I want all mail to be saved or deleted on the laptop only.
Using a thumb drive I copied the ~/.claws-mail folder from the new
laptop to the desktop, then ran the above command. But when I launch
Claws Mail on the desktop initially the folders are all there and the
number of messages is the same as on the laptop, but when I click on a
folder the count goes to 0. The accounts are working, but when I get
mail the popup may say it is retrieving three or four messages, but the
Inbox remains 0.

The above command should have worked, but it doesn't this time. I tried
adding -v (verbose) to the command, and it reported each file and
folder as "ownership of <file/folder name> retained as jjj:jjj." (I am
jjj on both computers.) The only other clue I have is that when I right
click on the .claws-mail folder on the desktop with the GUI file
browser and select Properties > Permissions it says that the owner is
"jjj (jjj)." I don't know exactly what the (jjj) means. The GUI file
browser is Thunar. The .claws-mail folder from the laptop was copied to
the desktop using a thumb drive that is formatted FAT32.

Any ideas?