[Users] Claws uses insecure SMTP compared to Outlook or Thunderbird

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Tue Dec 17 13:34:43 CET 2013

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 04:53:04 +0000
marlene.pratt at hushmail.com wrote:

> On 2013-12-16 at 1:56 PM, "Brian Morrison" <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> wrote:
> >Sounds like this needs to be a system-wide change, then any
> >application
> >will use the most secure algorithms available.
>
> No, this does not need to be a system-wide change. It has no effect
> on any other application in the system. The setting is inside the
> claws-mail account settings file and only affects claws-mail for that
> particular account.

I know that, but in order for every application to make use of the most
secure crypto the most obvious place to set this up is somewhere that
gnutls reads to check what algorithms to use when invoked. I realise
that other mail clients do this differently, but there are many other
crypto-service using applications that would benefit from better
security on the wire at least.

--

Brian Morrison