[Users] Moving to new computer

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at talktalk.net
Tue Dec 10 20:17:34 CET 2013

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 09:38:13 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm writing this on my old computer because my move to the new
> computer has something wrong with it.
>
> First, I installed Claws Mail on the new computer (Xubuntu 13.10) and
> all went well. Then I copied all the data from the old computer
> (Xubuntu 12.04), including all hidden and regular folders and files.
> To do this I used a 32 GB thumb drive formatted ext4 so that it would
> computer.

As you 'copied' the information it still remains on the old computer,
so you can therefore back it up with your favourite backup programme.
Then, using the same backup programme you could restore it on the new
machine. It might sound complicated but if you use the same backup
programme and the same version on both machines then it will work.

Sharon.

> Looking at Claws Mail in the new computer all my folders are there and
> all saved mail appears to be in the folders until I click on a folder,
> whereupon the saved mail count in that folder goes to zero. E.g., on
> my old computer I have a folder for messages related to Rsync with 7
> saved messages in it. On the new computer this folder appears as
> well, and in the folder list it says there are 7 messages in the
> folder, but when I click on the folder on the new computer the count
> goes to zero and no messages appear in the message window.
>
> If I use Get All on the new computer it goes out to my various
> accounts and gets the mail the same as it does on my old computer,
> that is, I see it retrieving messages from the servers, but the INBOX
> remains empty. I have no idea where it is putting the messages, but
> they are lost. (I put all new mail in the INBOX and delete/move after
> reading it in the INBOX.)
>
> Something is missing on the new computer, but I can't figure out what.
> All the accounts and configurations look exactly the same as on the
> old computer. What have I forgotten to transfer to the new computer?

Backup old -> restore new.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.3.2
Registered Linux user 561944