[Users] dealing with *too* many folders

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Dec 7 10:32:05 CET 2013

On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 18:53:16 -0500
Charles Lane <lane at duphy4.physics.drexel.edu> wrote:

> Okay, this may be obvious, but I haven't found a solution.
>
> I have lots and lots of mail folders (with lots of mail
> in them). When I go to file a message into one of the
> folders (control-O), I have to scroll through a list
> of _every_ folder, since the list, by default shows
> all the folders, subfolders, and sub-sub-folders.
>
> In the "normal" folder display, most of those folders
> are closed; I'd like it if the same open/closed
> status was applied when filing a message.
>
> Any ideas, or does this need to be a "feature request"?

Hi Charles,

I requested this feature before, and re-request it via this email. While
it's true that several people gave you excellent and quick navigation
methods, Claws is the only place I've ever seen where a tree starts in
the fully expanded state, and there isn't even a keystroke to fold
everything into the top nodes. A lot of humans like trees so they can
see the big picture and then drill down. It's the mental process on
which computer menus are based. But you can't do that if everything's
expanded at the start. I can't imagine any rationale by which a tree
would start fully expanded.

Thanks,

SteveT