[Users] Periodic "connection failed"

Haines Brown haines at histomat.net
Fri Aug 30 19:18:38 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 06:10:50PM -0400, Pierre Fortin wrote:

> I've added lines showing where mine differs; but I see nothing wrong...

Thank you for the effort. So there's nothing obviously wrong with the
configuration.

> >set_domain=0
>  set_domain=1
> >domain=
>  domain=pfortin.com

My intuition is that placing my wife's domain name in here would do no
harm. I tried adding it, sent a test message to the machine, and clicked
on "Get Mail". But result ambiguous.

The machine had automatically downloaded some messages from earlier this
morning. I sent a test message after changing the above configuration. When
I clicked Get Mail it acted reasonably quickly and retrieved my test
message without generating an ERROR message about connection. However, this
turned out to be a fluke.  A subsequent test message sent to the machine
was not automatically downloaded, and "Get Mail" again generates connection
error.

> >"Use_mail_command=0" Does not sound right, but I don't know that this
> >function is supposed to do.
>
> Just a boolean for:  mail_command=/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i

Does this mean Claws does not use sendmail?

> Going back to your original post...
> >     ERROR
> >     Connection to mail at omnis.com:110 failed
>                     ^^^^=^^^^^^^^^
> Is this correct?

No. As you suspect, a typo.

> I'm still suspicious of a random DNS issue...
>
> Try running the attached script for a while to see if DNS changes are
> happening when your problem [dis]appears (it will only report DNS changes
> if and when they happen) with:
>   $ watchdns mail.omnis.com

I'm not sure what "random" DNS means. I put the scipt on the machine and
ran it. It returned an IP address for mail.omnis.com. Is the idea that the
script checks every five minutes and I should look for changes in the IP
address? I tried to run it on my own machine to compare results and for
some reason get permission denied.

Haines