[Users] Move #mh to shared folder.

Holger Berndt berndth at gmx.de
Sat Apr 6 13:28:57 CEST 2013

On Fr, 05.04.2013 22:01, Mark Filipak wrote:

>> In Claws Mail, a mailbox and an account are two distinct concepts.
>
>Yes! But the nomenclature is getting into the way. The idea that
>the container of mailboxes is 'The Mailbox' is getting in the way
>of understanding.

That's your very own idea. A "mailbox" not a container of mailboxes.

I think what's getting in your way of understanding is that you're
trying to change everything even before having taken the effort to
understand it.

>The 1st step is to give everything a name. A well chosen name,
>simply by its appropriateness, can avoid much confusion and reduce
>the amount of explanatory documentation needed. Rather than making
>firm statements, perhaps there's a nomenclature on which we can agree.

The things have appropriate names.

There is a "mailbox", which is basically a storage location. You can
have one or multiple of those, and they can be stored on different
physical locations.

Inside a mailbox, you can have a nested "folder" structure.

Then there are "account"s, which handle the take-over from your mailbox
to the provider for sending and (possibly) receiving.

That's actually pretty consistent to what the terms mean in other
applications as well. It's just that some push the user to have a 1:1
association between accounts and mailboxes, and thus can use the
terms interchangably.

>> A mailbox is used to store messages. An account is used to pull in
>> and/or send out messages. There's no problem in having multiple
>> accounts that fetch messages and dump them into the very same mailbox.
>
>Account? These are Mail Accounts? How about Mail Sources? Mail comes
>from Mail Sources (POP & IMAP servers) and gets deposited in Mail
>Boxes.

That's only half the truth (accounts do not only receive, but also
send), or even wrong (an "SMTP-only" account only sends).

A "source" is also more abstract than an "account".

Holger