[Users] 45 POP accounts - Claws breaks making 2nd account.

Mark Filipak markfilipak.linux at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 22:02:21 CEST 2013

On 2013/4/5 3:24 PM, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 14:33:05 -0400
-snip-
> I've read several of your posts, and think I have a reasonable
> understanding of what you're after.  It might pay to create the
> directories you need outside CM.  So you have
>
> '/mnt/hgfs/shared/Mail/aerotek'
> '/mnt/hgfs/shared/Mail/experian'

Exactly! ...outside of CM, eh?

> and so on.
>
> Then, and this is the vital bit regarding the separation of accounts,
> start CM and select "Add mailbox->MH..." from the File directory.  It's
> this vital step I left out previously, as I didn't fully comprehend how
> you wanted the accounts laid out.  Enter the path to the first mailbox
> as '/mnt/hgfs/shared/Mail/aerotek' (without quotes) and the directory
> will be scanned for existing subdirs.

That's clear... thanks for taking the time to write it.

-snip-

Hmmm... The developers aught to address this. I'm trying to wean friends away from Windows and stuff like this doesn't make a convincing case that Linux is a viable alternative. Good documentation without jargon and without excessive verbiage is critical as is contextual (off-line) help and smooth, well designed and tested user interfaces (and interface standards, too). I correspond with some Linux developers and when I claim that they need to focus-test rather than using ordinary users as testers, they scoff at me. They claim that they don't have the resources but in reality they're wasting time writing stuff that could be better and written faster with some extra planning. I think ordinary users can be used as testers if you're honest with them and state that that's what you need them to be. At the same time, you should supply a more developed product that ordinary users can use. Some projects know that and have a beta-path and a stable-path.

Thank you, Brad. I so appreciate the help. I may volunteer as a Claws documentarian when the dust settles.

(!) Perhaps I'll write a perl script to make all the folders and contribute it to the Claws project.

Ciao - Mark (a hardware engineer).