[Users] Mailing patches and utf-8

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Sat Sep 29 23:41:50 CEST 2012

Hi,

I mailed a patch containing utf-8 characters recently and at the
receiving side the characters got garbled. Claws itself shows the patch
correctly.

The mime structure is:

--MP_/l2SRWsGWoVAuwHaSxfL=MMK

Blablablablabla

--MP_/l2SRWsGWoVAuwHaSxfL=MMK

+- "Config.Path=3D./config/=E4=B8=AD=E5=9B=BD_client.=

So the attachment has no charset whatsoever (which I think is correct,
since quote printable itself is 7bit ASCII and in the absence of any
further charset specification the receiving end should either assume
ASCII or UTF-8 (which both - when applied transparently - shouldn't
yield the results I've seen). Based on the results it seems that the
receiving side converts it to a different default charset.

So, am I correct to assume that Claws handled this correctly and that I
should contact the maintainer of the receiving side to figure out what
went wrong?

Thanks,
Michael

--