[Users] Offline online odds and ends

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 22 15:13:49 CEST 2012

I haven't done nearly enough investigation but thought it's likely
better reporting than not.

I'm using Imap and if I don't switch to offline before quitting I have
to wait for timeouts when I first load up, reducing the timeout
shortens the startup delay but not by the length in the timeout setting
(I think it takes as long as the setting on a Ubuntu box) and then
sending very large mails may timeout. I don't have 'check mail on
startup' ticked. I then also have to sometimes flick the offline switch
off and on to connect to the first of many IMAP accounts atleast but
that may be due to a process limit being reached on the server if it
has tried connecting to all accounts at startup. Not sure if it matters,
but I don't use the Get Mail button and have no default accounts ticked.

 The offline online switch also seems to very occasionally get confused
 asking if I'd like to override the offline status when it is shown as
 connected, requiring a couple more clicks to get it right.

I'm running 3.8.1 on Arch linux and the offline online behaviour was
better on OpenBSD than on Ubuntu too. I don't know whether that's
down to being an earlier 3.6 at the time or a build difference.

It's no real issue aside from telling my users to go offline when
quitting to save a wait on startup but thought I would report it to
increase the chances of any problems being noticed while browsing the
code.

Thanks for a great client

Kc

universal interface'