[Users] Anyone using Claws-Mail on FreeBSD?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Sep 19 21:23:22 CEST 2012

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:52:59 +0200, Michael Gmelin said:

> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:41:58 -0400
> Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 07:06:27 -0400, Jerry said:
> > > On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:46:22 -0400
> > > Steve Litt articulated:

> > > I am using it right now and have used it for over five years.
> > > Could you please post more info on your environment and what
> > > errors you are receiving.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jerry ♔
> >
> > Thanks Jerry,
> >
> > Once you and several other people emailed me saying they used Claws
> > in FreeBSD, I knew it was possible and worth the time to fix it, so
> > I fixed it.
> >
> > The symptom was the compile errored out saying TLS conflicted with
> > SSL. The problem was defective user. Being a Linux guy, I
> > automatically had just enough FreeBSD knowledge to make me
> > dangerous.
> >
> > I had selected TLS from one of those ncurses screens, and forever
> > afterward, no combination of make clean, make distclean and make
> > could bring back the ncurses screen so I could say I didn't want
> > TLS. Finally a guy from my LUG told me about make
> > rmconfig-recursive, and BANG, the thing compiled and worked.
>
> Side note:
>
> Those options are stored in /var/db/ports/PORTNAME/options. You can
> always remove them to start over (well, that's basically what "make
> rmconfig" does). Backing up that directory can be useful to reproduce
> your setup at a later point in time.
>
> Also using "make config" in any port's home directory brings up the
> configuration screen up for that port again within losing previously
> selected options. "make config-recursive" brings up all configuration
> screens for a dependencies (useful if you want to do a batch install,
> but still be able to tweak various settings).

Thanks Michael,

I'll do that next time. At least make config. The recursive option
might give me so much as to confuse me, although I could always make
rmconfig-recursive if I blew a make config-recursive.

I feel really dumb every time someone tells me a simple answer to
seemingly complex FreeBSD problems I've been having.

SteveT

                          *  http://twitter.com/stevelitt