[Users] Default Inbox mail ordering method

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 19:16:34 CEST 2012

A recent thread got me thinking.

Sometimes a spammer or anyone can make their message stick to the top
of your inbox by forward dating. Or your mail may be missed, if your
clock is behind.

You can sort by MH number or message receipt order which is good but
occasionally misorders list mail, I guess due to delays involved in
the lists MTAs. Would that be a better default?

I guess a spammer could use the first MTAs timestamp to stay at the top
but they generally don't and would more likely use the client time.
Would that be a good default time to use and is that header standard
enough to use? I guess the list MTA delays would still occur in both
methods but that's a smaller issue that would possibly require some kind
of cross referencing to solve and may be fixed by thread view or by
also looking at the references header?

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)