[Users] Build failure on Ubuntu 12.10 for claws-mail-extra-plugins

Holger Berndt berndth at gmx.de
Wed Oct 3 20:27:53 CEST 2012

Ricardo Mones <ricardo at mones.org> schrieb:

> What scares me a bit more is that libgdata, a
>library for accessing Google online services, is being so ingrained
>within
>the desktop components.

I fail to see the scariness. It's a nice lib, a free implementation of a publicly specified protocol, and users like to be able to access their data.

> Fortunately Claws Mail does not depend on it.

To be fair, most dependencies on libgdata in GNOME are like the dependency in Claws-Mail: Optional plugins for users of Google services. (Though technically, it's a blessed dependency, so making it compile-time optional would not be necessary. But even if the lib was required, that still wouldn't force anybody to use services they don't like.)