[Users] Build failure on Ubuntu 12.10 for claws-mail-extra-plugins

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Wed Oct 3 11:28:22 CEST 2012

  Hi Barry,

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 08:18:30PM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> We have a bit of a problem with the claws-mail-extra-plugins package on
> Ubuntu.  This package can no longer build from source on Ubuntu 12.10
> (Quantal):
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/claws-mail-extra-plugins/+bug/1060489
>
> The reason is that there is a conflict in the build-dependencies.
> libetpan-dev is required by the mailmbox plugin, while libgdata-dev is
> required by the gdata plugin.  libetpan-dev depends on libcurl4-gnutls-dev and
> libgdata-dev depends on (via liboauth-dev) libcurl4-nss-dev.  These two
> libcurl-dev packages conflict.  Meaning, they cannot both be installed at the
> same time, so libetpan-dev and libgdata-dev cannot both be installed to build
> the Ubuntu package.
>
> I don't have any brilliant ideas for resolving this conflict and fixing the
> build, so suggestions either here, to me privately, or in the above bug are
> welcome.  We're not in dire straights yet, since for now, the binary packages
> will remain in Quantal even though they can't be built from source.  But it
> does need to be resolved eventually.

  The solution you propose on the above bug, remove one of the plugins (and
its dependencies, of course), is the quickest, sure.

  If that dependency is really needed (doesn't seem to be documented in
ubuntu's changelog) for the new gdata 0.13, one of the plugins (I'd say gdata,
as is the one introducing the problem) could be split from upstream tarball
and created as a new source package. That way it could be built separately
without conflict. Remains to see if simultaneously loading both plugins built
this way causes some trouble. And unfortunately that should be done on every
new release.

  Other alternatives include pushing oauth upstream so it can be built with
libcurl's gnutls variant, or pushing libetpan upstream so it can be built
with libcurl's nss variant. These paths can take longer, if open, but can
be more interesting.

  regards,
--
  Ricardo Mones