[Users] Portable usage of Claws Mail

Colin Leroy colin at colino.net
Thu Nov 22 17:00:56 CET 2012

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 16:47:52 +0100, "Dr. Peter Voigt" <pvoigt at uos.de>
wrote:

Hi,

(No need to Cc me on users@, I'm subscribed)

There's one over at portable-apps.com:
http://portableapps.com/node/27682

> Is there a ZIP distribution of
> http://www.claws-mail.org/win32/claws-mail-3.9.0cvs12-pkg23.exe
> available? If not, could it be provided?

No (or not by me). Windows development is something I do for a fraction
of our userbase mostly because I've interacted with a few of them since
a few years and like them... But not enough to spend yet more time with
yet another port who is of interest to a fraction of the fraction of
our userbase :)

> Alternatively, could I simply copy the directory
> C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\Claws Mail and the settings directory to my
> USB stick? Where exactly does the above installer spread it's files
> over the hard disk? Are the any registry settings required for running
> Claws Mail?

I suppose, if you ask the installer to install in some F: drive,
and tell Claws' wizard to store its mail in F:\Mail, and launch Claws
with --alternate-config-dir F:\something, it will work as long as your
USB stick is mounted in F:

Unsupported, though.
--
Colin