[Users] SSMPT: SSL Handshake problem

ratinox at gweep.net ratinox at gweep.net
Sun Nov 18 18:46:21 CET 2012

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 16:06:01 +0000 (UTC)
Thomas <thomas.schnuck at freenet.de> wrote:

> would you please tell me how exactly you got it running?

I tracked this down a bit back. The problem isn't Claws-Mail or Gpg4win
per se. The problem is that the OpenSSL folks changed how OpenSSL
negotiates ciphers during the handshake. The change is not technically
incorrect so it isn't technically a bug.

The point of failure is in libetpan. That's where the SSL negotiations
occur. The solutions to this that I've worked out are:

Compile libetpan yourself and link against OpenSSL 0.9.8. This is
automatic on Debian 6 and I've used Colin's 3.9.0 build environment to
build Claws-Mail this way. Debian 7 ships with OpenSSL 1.0 so if you
want to link the older OpenSSL libraries you will need to compile them
yourself and forcibly link libetpan with them. Link Claws with this
version of libetpan.

Compile libetpan yourself using GnuTLS instead of OpenSSL. libetpan
supports this but it is not the default. Link Claws with this version
of libetpan.

If you are using Exchange and your Exchange has Outlook Web Access or
Outlook Web Services enabled then run the DavMail proxy. This speaks
standard IMAP/POP/SMTP with the mail client and Microsoft's WebDav with
the Exchange. You can then use any build of Claws-Mail that you like.

--