[Users] Claws Mail Extra Plugins 3.9.0 unleashed!!

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Sun Nov 18 00:38:21 CET 2012

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 20:11:27 +0100
Holger Berndt <berndth at gmx.de> wrote:

> >> Aehm ... you are aware that glib and gtk+ are GNOME libs, right?
> >
> >  Nope, they are GIMP libraries, which were used by GNOME.
>
> You're either wrong now, or you were wrong before when labelling
> libchamplain or its dependencies as a GNOME library. As there is no
> real definition of a "GNOME" library, you may pick your poison - but
> stay consistent.
>
> Glib, gtk+, libchamplain and many other have similar status concerning
> GNOME: They are blessed external dependencies. And if you look at who
> actually develops glib and gtk+, and how it is developed - well, it
> can't get much gnome'ier.

  I really believed that projects under http://projects.gnome.org/ were
  GNOME projects. Seen that way, it's obvious libchamplain can not be one of
  them, even if when listed and hosted in that site. So I was wrong before :)

> >  Or because current plugin set is enough for current user base (including
> >  developers). Or because nobody it's itched enough to make a new one...
> >  Anyway we have an API!
>
> I was talking about a plugin API. We definitively don't have that.
>
> We have an ever-changing set of exported symbols, whose selection is
> mostly random (if a symbol is needed in different compilation unit, or
> if a plugin from a team member needs it, it gets exported, otherwise
> not).

  Well, random sounds like someone is playing dice to decide which symbols
  get exported, which is not true. Better, call it development-driven ;)

  I'm never against defining things well, but somehow I feel that in this
  case the huge effort required for that "plugin API" won't pay much back.

  regards,
--
  Ricardo Mones
  ~