[Users] Claws Mail Extra Plugins 3.9.0 unleashed!!

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Nov 15 23:31:34 CET 2012

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 23:02:03 +0100, Colin Leroy said:
> On 15 November 2012 at 16h18, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > If I personally had the time and programming skills to do something
> > constructive to make Claws better, I'd rewrite it to have the same
> > feature set as it has now, but make it much more modular, separating
> > UI from algorithm, make better use of spawned processes so the
> > user's work doesn't wait on sending or retrieving, consolidate
> > configuration elements into a more intuitive tree, and change the
> > paradigm of dialog boxes with lists to make them more like CRUD and
> > less like "You've entered the info, but it hasn't really been
> > accepted til you click replace."
>
> There are a lot of things we should do indeed, but rewriting just
> takes too much energy!
>
> --
> Colin

Ain't that the truth, Colin,

Trouble is, with software, any software, as it ages and gets more and
more stuff bolted to it, eventually it ends up like V'Ger in Star Trek:
The Motion Picture. At some point in every software's life, it must be
rewritten or abandoned.

I'm not necessarily saying Claws-Mail has reached that point. I'm just
saying that, from what I saw of it investigating putting search in a
recursion loop, it's starting to get difficult to modify.

If I had the time and the skill, perhaps I'd take one piece of Claws
and make it a completely separate module with only the thinnest
interface back to the rest.

Speaking of that, has anyone ever drawn a block diagram of Claws-Mail
so everyone can see its architecture, and hopefully map that to the
source files and see the interfaces?

Thanks

SteveT

                          *  http://twitter.com/stevelitt