[Users] update from slypheed-claws to claws mail

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Nov 15 22:48:36 CET 2012

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 16:25:30 -0500, ratinox at gweep.net said:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:57:05 -0500
> Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> > Installing a local Dovecot IMAP is a lot of work, but IMHO it pays
> > off
>
> Actually, installing a local Dovecot IMAP server is easy. Most
> contemporary Linux distributions include Dovecot in their respective
> package repositories. Macintosh has Dovecot in MacPorts. The various
> BSDs have it in their respective Ports collections.
>
> Configuring Dovecot for IMAP isn't difficult, either. It's simply a
> matter of specifying which protocols to use (imap, imaps), what IP
> address to listen on for multi-homed nodes, where the SSL certificate
> resides if SSL is in use (maybe not necessary if you tunnel through
> SSH), and paths for spool file and mail storage. And that's it.

:-)

OK, I admit it, it's not that hard if you know what you're doing. I
didn't know what I was doing when I set it up.

Not only is it not hard, but I find storing my emails on an IMAP server
to have tons of benefits. I love it.

You know, whenever I don't know whether something's a problem with
Claws or something upstream, I can use Thunderbird as a diagnostic
tool. Until I learned from this list the correct way to do complex
recursive searches with Quick Search, I was using Thunderbird to search
my IMAP.

I love having Claws for a user interface, Dovecot IMAP to manage my
messages, and procmail to do my filtering.

Thanks

SteveT

                          *  http://twitter.com/stevelitt