[Users] Claws Mail Extra Plugins 3.9.0 unleashed!!

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Nov 15 22:18:53 CET 2012

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 15:51:17 -0500, ratinox at gweep.net said:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 21:11:43 +0100
> Holger Berndt <berndth at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > such a failure. As I professional, I would run away as fast as I
> > could, too (of course only after doing some finger-pointing and
> > having a good laugh). </rant>
>
> No, sir. This attitude is the problem. You complain about how bad it
> is instead of doing something constructive to make Claws better.

ratinox,

Before you go off on a guy who has been helping people on this list for
a long time, let me ask you -- have you ever looked at Claws-Mail code?
It's not simple, and it's not something that can easily be made better,
as it's an intermingling of algorithm and user interface. It
requires a rather intimate knowledge to work on it. Making it better is
not an easy task -- I know -- I briefly evaluated what it would take to
make the regular search recursive, and failed.

Which isn't surprising, given Claws' history as a fork of Sylpheed. If
I'm not mistaken, its code base is 12 years old, and a heck of a lot of
excellent features have been bolted onto it during that time.

If I personally had the time and programming skills to do something
constructive to make Claws better, I'd rewrite it to have the same
feature set as it has now, but make it much more modular, separating UI
from algorithm, make better use of spawned processes so the user's work
doesn't wait on sending or retrieving, consolidate configuration
elements into a more intuitive tree, and change the paradigm of dialog
boxes with lists to make them more like CRUD and less like "You've
entered the info, but it hasn't really been accepted til you click
replace."

But no way am I a good enough coder, nor do I have the time.

Thanks

SteveT

                          *  http://twitter.com/stevelitt