[Users] update from slypheed-claws to claws mail

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Nov 15 21:57:05 CET 2012

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 19:23:10 +0100, Lars Uhlmann said:
> Hi there,
>
> i'm using an very old system with sylpheed-claws 2.5.
> But now it's time to upgrade my hardware and also my distribution.
> I realized that "Sylpheed-Claws" is now "Claws-Mail". All
> configuration files have been renamed to get rid of that
> "slypheed"-part.
>
> Is there an easy way to import my old settings (plugins, filters etc)
> and mailboxes in the current version? Maybe with the intermediate step
> of the first Claws-Mail release?
>
> regards
> Lars

Hi Lars,

Several people have given excellent suggestions, and certainly the
suggestion to back up what you have is vital.

Probably the other suggestions will work, but if they don't, you always
have the fallback position of folder by folder copying your email to an
IMAP server, then installing a modern Claws, then accessing the email
on that IMAP server.

If your emails aren't super-private, the easiest thing to do is to use
Gmail as your IMAP server. If your emails are something you'd prefer to
keep out of the cloud, you could install Dovecot IMAP on your computer
(your headers say you're using Linux, so all is good), and do it there.

Installing a local Dovecot IMAP is a lot of work, but IMHO it pays off
because you can then separate your email client from mail storage, and
if you poke a 993 pinhole in your firewall or forward SSL IMAP over
ssh, you can access your email on the road, and never need to keep your
email synced.

If you want to set up Dovecot IMAP, here's how I did it:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/201202/201202.htm#_Dovecot

Once again, my assumption is your old stuff will simply convert
automatically, but if it doesn't, you still have plenty of options.

HTH,

SteveT

                          *  http://twitter.com/stevelitt