[Users] Could claws-mail be multi-threaded?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Nov 5 20:13:33 CET 2012

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 17:25:58 +0800, Magicloud Magiclouds said:
> Hi,
>   My account is using pop3 and smtp. Everytime I send or receive a
> mail, all other functions hung. Especially when the network is not so
> good. So I think, why not make network operations in background
> thread to make GUI more responsivity?
> --
> 竹密岂妨流水过
> 山高哪阻野云飞
>
> And for G+, please use magiclouds#gmail.com.

It doesn't even have to be multithreaded. It could be as simple as
forking a new process for the sending. But Magicloud is right -- having
to wait for a send before going on to your next email is a frustrating
slowdown.

There are other situations where Claws-Mail's inability to do two
things at once get in the way. There are also situations where a
spawned, blocking dialog box gets buried, and unless you're really
familiar with things, it appears that Claws is hung, when really it's
just waiting for you to OK or Cancel that dialog box.

I'd do the forked send version myself, except when I tried to make
search recursive, which should have been a dead bang easy situation
of putting the search in a loop, the way Claws is coded, what I found
was that process algorithm and GUI user interface were intermingled
like a well-shuffled deck of cards, and I don't have the ability to
sort it all out.

Anyway, I would imagine that for somebody really familiar with the
Claws-Mail code base, it would be fairly easy to place the send
(perhaps with its little informative dialog box) in a forked process.

SteveT

                          *  http://twitter.com/stevelitt