[Users] Access to messages

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Fri Nov 2 22:24:45 CET 2012

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 16:49:57 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 15:37:25 -0400, john Culleton said:
> > On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 14:58:17 -0400
> > Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hi John,
> > >
> > > This depends on whether you're using IMAP or not. I know only
> > > Claws using an IMAP server. When stuff like what you describe
> > > happens to me, I right click the account and say "check for new
> > > folders", then "check for new messages", then "Rebuild folder
> > > tree"
> > >
> > > DANGER WILL ROBINSON: "Rebuild folder tree" deletes your local
> > > IMAP cache, so if your local IMAP cache is important to you,
> > > don't do it. Personally, I view IMAP cache as just more gigabytes
> > > devoured needlessly. But then again, I personally administer my
> > > IMAP server, so I can afford to be so cavalier.
> > >
> > > If you store your email's locally under Claws instead of on an
> > > IMAP server, please ignore everything I said in this email.
>

> > I store all email locally. So I guess I don't use an imap server.
> >
> > Any other suggestions?
>
> Hi John,
>
> My only other suggestion would be to do what I do and run Dovecot IMAP
> server locally. This actually has a lot of advantages besides being
> able to refresh your connection. Let me explain...
>
> 2001-2011 I used Kmail, storing my email in Kmail's maildirs and
> mboxes. As you know, in 2011 Kmail became Kmail2, with so many
> ponderous and useless moving parts that I had to stop using it, and it
> was VERY, VERY hard to get my emails out of Kmail. It was almost
> impossible to convert my email out of Kmail because it had two
> different storage methods. Additionally, my choices of replacements
> for Kmail were dependent on the email client's storage methods. Whata
> PITA!
>
> My LUG friends suggested that from now on I store all my email (and
> we're talking about tens of thousands of messages) on a local IMAP
> server on my desktop. Then I could use any IMAP enabled email client,
> secure in the knowledge that my emails were contained in a maildir
> format (what Dovecot uses) independent of my email client's
> capabilities. Additional benefit was that in Kmail I could create
> parallel mailboxes on my IMAP server, and copy all my email to the
> IMAP server, and then use any email client to hit that same email.
> Another benefit is now, when I have a problem that might be Claws
> related or might be IMAP related, I can use Thunderbird as a
> diagnostic tool to peer into my IMAP server without using Claws.
> And of course, when I go on the road, I no longer neeed to copy
> my old messages to my laptop, nor sync the laptop to the desktop
> when I get back. I just ssh tunnel into my IMAP server through a
> pinhole in my firewall and get my email.
>
> Perhaps the greatest benefit, though, is NEVER AGAIN would my email
> client hold my past emails hostage. I know, I know, Claws is wonderful
> and why would I ever want to switch? Well, back in 2001 I was saying
> that about Kmail too -- things change.

> [...]

Very interesting!!

With your setup, when you fire up Claws Mail, are your various
folders displayed as usual? I have about 30 folders, most of
them subordinates to the main Inbox folder. I just can't grok how
your particular lashup works from the user point of  view.

What about bogofilter? Where does it hook in?

BTW the entire KDE4 thingamabob was so awful that I
installed Trinity  which is a KDE 3.5 clone running in a KDE4
world. That is what I am using now. Faster, cleaner, and less
annoying.

Wexford Press
Free list of books for self-publishers:
http://wexfordpress.net/shortlist.html