[Users] Only issue prevent claws-mail to be accepted in corporate

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Mar 28 09:01:01 CEST 2012

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:19:57 +0530
"J. Bakshi" <joydeep at infoservices.in ( জয়দীপ বকসী )> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:57:28 -0400
> Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:14:23 +0530
> > "J. Bakshi" <joydeep at infoservices.in ( জয়দীপ বকসী )> wrote:
> >
> > > Dear list,
> > >
> > > I have introduces CM (3.8.0) in our organization. The initial
> > > response was very good, specially the quick search abilities of CM
> > > draws everyone's attentions.
> > >
> > > But soon users ( who are thunderbird users) have faced the well
> > > known problem of CM, the frozen and grayed out issue. Even some
> > > users complaint the CM was frozen when they were in middle of the
> > > writing urgent emails.
> > >
> > > The same thing happens also during mail search. Is there any way
> > > to fix this very issue ?
> > >
> > > BTW: I have faced the same problem during my writing of this very
> > > small email, because CM was downloading emails !!!
> >
> > Hi J. Bakshi,
> >
> > The way I minimize this inconvenience is to set Claws to download
> > only when I tell it to. That way it doesn't happen in the middle of
> > writing an email, and, for instance, they could download email just
> > before a bathroom break or a walk to the coffee pot.
> >
> > The tougher problem is when you're three levels down in the menu
> > system and all of a sudden it appears to freeze hard. Now you and I
> > both know that what has happened is some Claws dialog, not
> > currently in the foreground, needs attention, but to the new Claws
> > user the symptom description would be "hung" or "froze". I had a
> > particularly difficult one of these last night when I clicked OK
> > and everything grayed out. It turned out that a value on the dialog
> > was illegal and I had to go change it, but the only indication to
> > the user was everything grayed out. I think the best strategy
> > against this type of thing is an education campaign -- once you've
> > seen it for what it is, it doesn't panic you.
> >
> > I'm not saying that "just work with it" is an ideal solution, but
> > threaded programming is difficult, and if threading this program
> > would take a complete rewrite, I'd worry that the next version
> > would have serious bugs.
> >
> > SteveT
>
> Hello SteveT,
>
> well... I am a CM user in home environment since last couple of
> years, and I am overlooking its drawbacks purposely because of its
> positive sides :-)
>
> But when we like to introduce S/W to corporate sector; then rather
> than the personal liking; the usability to that sector playing the
> prime role. It is not that CM is not liked by the corporate users;
> majority of whom are familiar with outlook and thunderbird since
> long. This is really a good point. Just its some drawbacks (well, may
> not be a issue programmatically, but the users will use it finally )
> don't allow the users to accept it confidently.
>
> At office I really don't have much time to allow it to complete it's
> operations during frozen state. Thunderbird is a better choice at
> [...]

I wonder if getting mail, and ONLY getting mail, could be made another
process? Theoretically it's simple enough, but I was in the code a few
days ago looking to recursivize the search, and what I found was that
algorithm and UI and callbacks were all mixed together reminiscent of
Model/View/Controller, and under those circumstances sometimes it's not
so easy just to break out a piece of code and use it elsewhere (or put
it in a different process).

SteveT