[Users] Only issue prevent claws-mail to be accepted in corporate

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Mar 27 17:57:28 CEST 2012

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 12:14:23 +0530
"J. Bakshi" <joydeep at infoservices.in ( জয়দীপ বকসী )> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I have introduces CM (3.8.0) in our organization. The initial
> response was very good, specially the quick search abilities of CM
> draws everyone's attentions.
>
> But soon users ( who are thunderbird users) have faced the well known
> problem of CM, the frozen and grayed out issue. Even some users
> complaint the CM was frozen when they were in middle of the writing
> urgent emails.
>
> The same thing happens also during mail search. Is there any way to
> fix this very issue ?
>
> BTW: I have faced the same problem during my writing of this very
> small email, because CM was downloading emails !!!

Hi J. Bakshi,

The way I minimize this inconvenience is to set Claws to download only
when I tell it to. That way it doesn't happen in the middle of writing
an email, and, for instance, they could download email just before a
bathroom break or a walk to the coffee pot.

The tougher problem is when you're three levels down in the menu system
and all of a sudden it appears to freeze hard. Now you and I both know
that what has happened is some Claws dialog, not currently in the
foreground, needs attention, but to the new Claws user the symptom
description would be "hung" or "froze". I had a particularly difficult
one of these last night when I clicked OK and everything grayed out. It
turned out that a value on the dialog was illegal and I had to go
change it, but the only indication to the user was everything grayed
out. I think the best strategy against this type of thing is an
education campaign -- once you've seen it for what it is, it doesn't
panic you.

I'm not saying that "just work with it" is an ideal solution, but
threaded programming is difficult, and if threading this program would
take a complete rewrite, I'd worry that the next version would have
serious bugs.

SteveT