[Users] configuring IMAP for dovecot server

Renato rennabh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 19:14:04 CEST 2012

Hello, I'm trying to set up a central server to download all my mail
via pop, and then run on the same machine a dovecot imap server, to
which I'd like to connect from other places (laptop, android phone
etc.).

I'm very new to all this so please bare with me, if I did stupid
errors. What I managed to do so far is setup a simple imap dovecot
server, with no SSL certification for now, only plaintext, pointing to
a maildir directory on the server.

I have managed to setup fetchmail on my laptop to connect, over the
lan, to the dovecot server and get the mail; however I'm not able to do
the same with claws-mail.

These are some screenshots of the account settings:
http://imgur.com/a/iFGLx

When I try to check mail for that account, literally nothing happens.
What am I doing wrong? Below are my .fetchmailrc and .procmailrc from
my laptop (and the fetchmail command I've used) and my dovecot.conf
(and the file users2 there cited) from my server.

Any suggestions appreciated,
renato

.fetchmailrc:
set daemon 300
poll 192.168.0.121 with proto IMAP
  user 'renato' is 'renato' here
mda '/usr/bin/procmail -d %T'

.procmailrc:
MAILDIR=/home/renato/mail-prova/
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/$LOGNAME/
LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail
VERBOSE=on

the fetchmail command I've succesfully used to get the mail:
$ fetchmail --daemon 0 --auth password -v -f .fetchmailrc

/etc/dovecot.conf:
protocols = imap
mail_location = /home/renato/mail/%u

log_path = /var/log/dovecot
mail_privileged_group = mail
protocol pop3 {
pop3_uidl_format = %v.%u
}

disable_plaintext_auth = no
ssl = no

passdb {
driver = passwd-file
args = /etc/dovecot/users2
}

userdb {
driver = passwd-file
args = /etc/dovecot/users2
}

/etc/dovecot/users2:
renato:{PLAIN}pw:1000:100::/home/renato:/bin/bash