[Users] Slow opening of large folders / folder "reload"

Romain romainguinot at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 23:55:42 CET 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM, Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Romain wrote:
>
> > > I've been using claws for a few months now and i like it a lot.
> > > I'm currently using 3.8.0 on Fedora 16 against my company's
> > > Zimbra LDAP.
> > >
> > > The problem i have is that sometimes -- can't really pinpoint why
> > > -- when opening large folders (e.g. > 5000 messages), claws takes
> > > a very long time to open the folder, with a progress bar in the
> > > bottom that seems to be re-reading every message from that folder
> > > (see attached screenshot).
> > >
> > > That operation blocks any mail sending/receiving while that
> > > progress bar is in progress.
> > > Is there something i have mis-configured ?
> > >
> > > Killing & relaunching claws, and clicking on the folder it
> > > couldn't open is generally instantaneous after restarting claws.
> > > It does not always occur on the same folder, nor does it happen
> > > every time, but it's more likely to happen if the folder is large.
>
> > No takers ?
>
> I don't have any folders as big as yours. My biggest one has 2500
> messages, and it takes probably less than half a second to open. Do
> you have any filters or processing that run when the folder is opened?

Nope, no filters or processing rules. The rules to direct emails into
specific folders are defined server-side.
The network activity dialog from claws showed that when that happens, claws
seems to be pulling around 1k bytes per message of the folder from the
server.

I'm not using my work laptop now so i don't have claws, but i can probably
attach some sample log lines sometime tomorrow, if that helps.

Could something be off with the caching maybe ? i generally ticked the
'synchronize for offline use' option.

Regards,
Romain.

> --