[Users] claws crashing when sending on Fedora 16 with new KDE rpms

George Avrunin avrunin at math.umass.edu
Mon Mar 19 22:59:13 CET 2012

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:56:56 -0400, George Avrunin wrote:

> Last night I did a yum update and got a lot of kde 4.8.1 rpms on my
> Fedora 16 boxes.  No changes to claws-mail.  Now claws-mail crashes when
> I try to send when I'm running in KDE, although it seems to be fine in
> gnome.
>
> I've posted a message on the kde at lists.fedoraproject.org (and sent the
> abrt stuff to Redhat's bugzilla), but I thought I'd check here to see if
> anyone else has encountered this or has any suggestions about working
> around it (other than switching to gnome or something like that).
>
> The message does seem to get sent.  Claws shows "Scanning folder
> avrunin at ext.math.umass.edu/Queue" at the bottom and then dies.
> (avrunin at ext.math.umass.edu is the name of the account.)
>
> Thanks,
>
>   George

I also tried running claws-mail from the command line with the "--debug"
flag.  I don't see anything odd in the output (but I could be
misunderstanding what I'm seeing) until I send a message and claws
crashes, at which point I see

  Gdk-ERROR **: The program 'claws-mail' received an X Window System error.
  The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
   (Details: serial 54106 error_code 3 request_code 151 minor_code 3)
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
    function.)
  Trace/breakpoint trap

Perhaps I misunderstand the instructions, it sounds like to use the
--sync, I'd have to run claws in a debugger?  (And so need all the
-debug rpms, which I don't have on the machine I'm sending this from.
I can try that tomorrow.)

  George