[Users] Two instances of Claws Mail?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Mar 14 04:46:53 CET 2012

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 00:14:28 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

>What might make sense is to have two different Claws Mail programs,
>running at the same time. One would be my existing Claws Mail that has
>all my non-university mail, and the other would be dedicated only to my
>university account.
>
>Is that possible? If not, can someone suggest any alternative to free
>me from Google Mail's web interface?

Thanks to everyone for all the thoughts and suggestions.

After considering the possibilities mentioned here, and after further
poking around in Claws Mail, I think the best solution would be one
instance of Claws Mail with two address books, two inboxes, and two main
folders for saved messages, where each current folder becomes a
subfolder. Thus, I can have a folder labeled "general" which will hold
all my current Claws-Mail folders, and another folder labeled
"university," which will hold the dozen or so folders where I have
saved university mails over the years. (The latter are still on the
university servers.)

This will effectively keep the two worlds separated so I won't have
everything mixed together. However, there are a couple problems that I
can't figure out how to solve:

1) I have the university account (still in Google webmail) set to check
for mail every ten minutes. I have my other accounts (in Claws Mail)
set to check for mail only manually. It appears that the option for
this in Claws Mail is a global option; that is, I cannot set one
account to check every ten minutes and the others on a different
schedule or manually. Or is there such an option? If so, where is it?

2) I have my current non-university accounts in Claws Mail set to delete
the mail from the server when I have downloaded it. This has worked
fine for years. But I need to be able to access the university mail, at
least everything still in the inbox, from the university as well as from
home. Therefore, in Claws Mail I'd need to set the university account
not to delete the mail from the server upon downloading the mail. I
could then still use the Google web interface to access my mail on
campus if necessary. The problem is that I access my mail on campus
infrequently - that is, when I need to access my university mail from
campus I *really need to do so*, but I do so only once a month or so.
As a result, the mail will start piling up in the university inbox.
What I need is to leave the mail on the university server upon
downloading the mail in Claws Mail, but when I delete the mail in Claws
Mail I need Claws Mail to then go out and delete that mail from the
university server. I can't figure out if that is possible in Claws Mail
or, if it is possible, how to do it. Can anyone help?