[Users] Issue in need of ideas: Too many folders

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Sun Mar 4 18:27:31 CET 2012

Hi,

Looking for ideas...

I've been using SC/CM for over 10 years now and have accumulated a LOT of
folders (~6.5 screens to scroll through).  So this is now becoming quite
cumbersome and I was thinking about some possible solutions...  Any coding
solution should by optional so as not to disrupt other users' experience
with the best mailer IMO.

My idea is to use a cascading menu toggle (like "Edit->Auto-wrapping")
where the menu head is each folder's expansion triangle. Each folder
would have a show/hide toggle -- this would allow only the most
active/chosen folders to appear in the folder view without having to show
all the other less active folders which waste display space, resulting in
wasted time finding a particular one.

Rarely used folders would auto-display when a new messages arrive in them.

May need a "[ ] Never hide folders with unread messages" option too. :)
I can't think of a reason for hiding all folders, other than not using
"Default To:" and "Save to..." folder options to compose.

Organized folders only get me so far when opening a branch in the
current tree which shows lots of less active folders along with the
desired one(s)...

Does this sound like a reasonable idea before I formalize an
enhancement request?

Other thoughts on overcoming this issue?

Thanks and Cheers,
Pierre

PS  While I have archived some folders, each time I do, typically within a
few days something comes up where I need to find something just archived.
Also, even though I run 2 instances of CM to segregate business/personal
from collaboration emails, both now suffer from this issue.