[Users] [Bulk] Re: Migrating emails and emails folders from "Mozilla Thunderbird" to "Claws Mail"

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Jun 30 08:22:49 CEST 2012

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 19:32:26 +0200, Nicolas Iselin said:
> Am Fri, 29 Jun 2012 17:58:04 +0100
> schrieb Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk>:
>
> > > With due respect, Your Worship, I have in KMail mbox folders that
> > > hold both mails and sub-folders.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Ron.
> >
> > Are you sure? Please create some empty folders in Kmail export them
> > as an mbox and attach the mbox file to a mail to me.
>
> I migrated from KMail to Claws a few months ago. And I can confirm
> that KMail has quite an own way of doing things, especially if you
> were using KMail for several years and let KMail "upgrade" your mails.
>
> As far as I remember, Kmail can use mbox format for a certain folder
> but maintains IN PARALLEL a "hidden" directory structure that allows
> to nest mbox files within each others. Nasty in the filesystem, but
> transparent to the end user.
>
> It will possibly not help if Ron creates now an mbox file, it is
> likely that Kmail does it different right now compared to what
> happened when it created the Mbox file a few releases ago...
>
> If anyone is interested, I can share what I did for KMail to Claws
> Migration.

If I had to do migration again, I'd do it the same way as before: I'd
copy from the source client to an IMAP account, and then from the IMAP
to Claws. Or, in my case, I didn't do the last step -- I just kept all
my email on my local IMAP server, and that IMAP server's Maildir
structure is what I back up.

I tried for a few weeks to export and import from files, and man, it
was very bad news. Only after I committed to the IMAP middleman did
things go well.

The whole process is described here:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/201202/201202.htm

SteveT