[Users] Migrating emails and emails folders from "Mozilla Thunderbird" to "Claws Mail"

Lmhelp lmhelp1 at orange.fr
Thu Jun 28 01:02:14 CEST 2012

Thank you for your answer.

> Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> I don't know but I imagine it's a non plain mbox format,
> though I didn't know it existed or corrupted??

I don't know either...
I'm not doing anything special:
1) I am used to putting my emails into directories and subdirectories
within "Mozilla Thunderbird".
2) I want to export that structure - hierarchy of directories - along
with the emails it contains into a format compatible with "Claws Mail".
3) And finally, I want to import all that into "Claws Mail".
And there is no reason why any file or directory should be corrupted.

SOMETHING WHICH WORKS PROPERLY
Suppose I have a simple folder "f" containing emails in "Mozilla
Thunderbird".
If I chose: "Tools" -> "ImportExportTools" -> "Export folder", I get a
file "f" as a result.
Prior to this, in "Tools" -> "ImportExportTools" -> "Options" ->
"Export directories", I checked the "Export folders as MBOX file" check
box.
In "Claws Mail", if I choose: "File" -> "Import mbox file..." and
select "f": I recover my emails properly.

SOMETHING WHICH DOESN'T WORK
Now, suppose I have a folfer "f" containing two subfolders "f1" and
"f2" which in turn contain emails ("m1" to "m5"):

    f1
       m1
       m2
    f2
       m3
       m4
       m5

if I do the same thing as above and if I choose:
a) "Export folder with subfolders (simple)", I get three files "f",
"f1" and "f2".
"f" size is 0.
"f1" and "f2" have a non-zero size.
In "Claws Mail", when I choose "File" -> "Import mbox file..." and
select "f". It fails.

b) "Export folder with subfolders (with structure)", I get
a file "f" and a folder "f.sdb".
Again "f" size is zero.
"f.sdb" contains to files "f1" and "f2" with non-zero size.
In "Claws Mail", if I choose, "File" -> "Import mbox file..." and
select "f". It fails again.

> Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> Migrating any filters you have, I believe there is a plugin to
> migrate filters from thunderbird.
I have no filters...

> Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> p.s. I recall there may even be a tool specifically to migrate almost
> everything form thunderbird to claws but I forget the specifics.
That could solve my problem?

So, I'm still wondering if I can import a hierarchy of folders,
subfolders and emails coming from "Mozilla Thunderbird" into "Claws
Mail" and how?

Thank you in advance for helping.
Best regards,
--