[Users] Claws config needs much better documentation

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Jul 29 01:44:19 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I'm finding it insanely difficult to configure things in Claws.

My daily driver desktop's Claws is set up just about exactly how I want
it, but no matter what I do, I can't get my laptops' Clawses to work
the same way. My desktop is Claws 3.7.9 on Ubuntu 11.10, and was
upgraded from whatever they had on Ubuntu 11.04. My laptops are Claws
3.8.0 from Ubuntu 12.04.

My desktop uses d instead of Ctrl+d for delete (or move to trash, not
sure which), and when you delete one mail, the highlight on the message
list goes to the next message, and that message loads.

Not so for the Claws on my laptops. There, when I try to set the hotkey
to d, by hitting the keystroke while the highlight is on the menu item,
for either delete or move to trash, instead of changing it to d, it
just deletes the item after an "are you sure" screen. I tried to
configure it in the various resource files in $HOME/.claws-mail, and
the changes got undone by the app.

Also, on my laptops, when the highlight on the message list falls on an
email by any other method except mouseclick, the message doesn't load.
You have to hit Enter to have it load. Worse, the contents of a
a good message thinking it's the bad one currently on the screen. I've
found no way to change this behavior, and no rhyme or reason why one of
my Clawses behaves the way I want, and the others don't (Note, my
desktop setup hits its own IMAP server, while the laptops access that
same desktop server's IMAP).

This might sound like minor stuff, but when you're dealing with 500 or
so emails a day, optimal configuration could easily save 1/2 hour per
day.

I went all through the user manual, and little if anything was said
about any of this. Does anyone know of good, complete and accurate
Claws documentation that tells how to configure things?

Thanks

SteveT

                          *  http://twitter.com/stevelitt