[Users] Privacy issue (was Webmail support in Claws Mail )

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Jan 30 22:51:55 CET 2012

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 21:56:52 +0100
alb348 at gmail.com wrote:

> Naturally, this requires hard coding work. But I don't see why it
> should not be feasible.

I'm not sure it is feasible. I'm sure a reasonably competent
programmer, given a suitable library, can manipulate the major webmail
vendors' web pages to perform this job.

One gotcha comes in when the webmail vendors change their web pages. For
some period of time, the interface will be broken, which will
inconvenience users. Inconvenienced users tend to scream loudly, and
tend to want the problem fixed yesterday. Are you volunteering to solve
that problem every time it occurs?

There is also a related distribution problem. Very few developers are
in a position to roll out a new version of their code and then get
distributors (Debian, Red Hat, etc.) to immediately roll the new
version out to their users.

This is open source software. Feel free to write it and contribute it
back to the code base. I trust you will also volunteer to maintain the
code, especially when the webmail vendors change their web page code.