[Users] Privacy issue (was Webmail support in Claws Mail )

Andreas Fink finkandreas at web.de
Mon Jan 30 22:25:42 CET 2012

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 22:15:02 +0100
alb348 at gmail.com wrote:

> Brad Rogers (brad at fineby.me.uk) wrote:
>
>  >You keep on about webmail. So why not use it? All you need is (fx:
> drum roll) a web browser. After all, that's the tool that web mail was
> designed for. Claws is a mail user agent, MUA for short. It patently
> *isn't* a web browser. --
>
> Ok. I have already explained this in my reply to Andreas. But I will
> complete the answer.
> What I want is simply to bypass the privacy violation inherent in the
> SMTP protocol.

You're saying over and over that it is a privacy violation by the SMTP protocol? Can you state any source, that the SMTP protocol forces the MTA to put the Sender's IP into the sent email?
What you are describing is just a workaround for GMail, not more not less. We're not talking about something generic (since even sending over a webinterface the MTA would be able to put your IP address into the sent email).
Google is just nice enough not to put your IP address into the sent E-Mail when you're sending it over the web interface. That's what they do right now. That may change any day. It's not my decision nor is it yours. It's up to google to decide which headers will be put into the sent email.

Again, if you're afraid of being tracked by your IP use Tor or a proxy or whatever else will hide your IP address in the first place. Relying on a non-documented feature that gmail is not putting your ip address into the sent mail if sent over the webinterface but will put it there if sent via smtp is just not smart and doomed for failing in the future (probably one day after the feature would have been implemented :P)

Cheers
Andreas