[Users] Privacy issue (was Webmail support in Claws Mail )

Andreas Fink finkandreas at web.de
Mon Jan 30 22:13:47 CET 2012

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 21:56:52 +0100
alb348 at gmail.com wrote:
> Agreed. Exactly as you say. Nonetheless, integrating within Claws Mail
> the webmail support for at least the big email providers (which account
> for a large chunk of total email use) is a major step in the right
> direction. In any case only *some* webmail servers, like Google (Yahoo
> and Hotmail don't, for instance), obscure the IP address of the
> end-user, so we would not bother to provide support for *all* webmail
> servers. Personally, I would be satisfied with Google's webmail.

Sorry for this: You're talking about privacy problems and are using a gmail account at the same time? Kind of contradictory for me ;)

> 1) you compose your email in Claws Mail, exactly as you would normally do
> 2) when you press Send, instead of using the SMTP protocol, Claws Mail
> opens the relavant webmail account
> 3) it automatically presses Compose within the webmail account and feeds
> the webpage with the data from the email already composed within Claws Mail
> 4) it sends the email out via the server's webmail
> Steps 2, 3 and 4 could be executed in the background. This way, the user
> will experience nothing different from his usual routine.
> A copy of the dispatched email will immediately be placed the local Sent
> folder (without even the need to retrieve the email from the server's
> Sent folder and synch your local archive).
>
> Naturally, this requires hard coding work. But I don't see why it should
> not be feasible.

To summarize your request (and also for me, if I understood you right): Basically all you want is not using the SMTP protocol but, somehow sending the email via the web interface...
This sounds like you do not even want to see the web interface, you just care about hiding your IP address.
Just use Tor, if you really care that much about being tracked by your IP address.
What you suggest is a hacked solution, as any change in the web-interface basically renders the plugin into a broken state, as this is not a public API...

I'm not a developer of claws-mail, but I'm programming from time to time, and I know that I would never ever implement something like your request, as it is damned for being broken 90% of the time. It's like changing the source code every second/third day (at least if you support more than just gmail)

Cheers
Andreas