[Users] Privacy issue (was Webmail support in Claws Mail )

Andreas Fink finkandreas at web.de
Mon Jan 30 20:52:14 CET 2012

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 20:36:56 +0100
alb348 at gmail.com wrote:

> Hannes Schüller (hannes at yllr.ne) wrote:
>
>  > Why don't you just tunnel to your home network. That's as simple
>  > as it gets. No need for a dedicated SMTP server etc.
>
> It's hardly "as simple as it gets". I fail to see how this is simpler
> than using webmail for sending out an email.
> Also, you need some expertise to set up a tunnel, and such expertise is
> not within
> everyone's reach.
> Why to look for more complicated solutions while webmail already
> provides the optimal solution?

Hm, I don't get the exact problem? Why does claws-mail need to be a browser? Claws-Mail does not even natively support html rendering...
And besides all that, I don't think that a generic webmail login is possible.
It basically comes down to the steps:
1. Fetch the webmail html site
2. Find the Username/Password fields
3. Find the button to login

The first step is easy to configure, just let there be an entry for the URL. The second and third step already seem much harder in a generic way. I understand that it is possible, and probably for the biggest mail-provider there are really fast solutions, but still it will never be a full support for all email provider.

Could you please explain shortly, why it would be better to open your webmail in claws-mail instead of the browser (both, firefox and chrome/chromium support password saving mechanisms, so you do not even have to type your username/password).
You couldn't even enjoy the addressbook of claws-mail, since claws-mail would never know, which field in your webmail is an email-address field and which is the subject field, etc...

Cheers
Andreas